October 16, 2009

Signalnoise Broadcast #2



''to me I never think of my art as a destination, i never think of it as something that's gonna be finite, because if you think that way and then you achieve that goal your gonna be left with what do I do now''
-James White


Another broadcast from James White at Signalnoise.com, this time I wanted to ask a few questions and join in for a change rather than just view, this way you can get to hear what ever interests you the most, turned out really well.


(20:47) Where do you believe you gain your most valuable inspiration?
comes from everywhere, start everyday flickr, bookshelf stacked with art and design books, online, design resource, big great world of inspiration


(37:31) Did you start out hoping to produce work one day for magazines such as ComputerArts, or was it more of a personal adventure and see where it takes you?
just starting doing a blog, just started making art and uploading it

"to me I never think of my art as a destination, i never think of it as something that's gonna be finite, because if you think that way and then you achieve that goal your gonna be left with what do I do now, so I always, to this day I still see art as a journey, your gonna do this thing and your gonna learn from it"

something that happens as a snowball effect to art that I created to hang on my wall, it would be nice/amazing, "looking at art as a king of path, as a journey, is kind of the only way to go, as it eliviates all this pressure of the goal of getting published, make art for you, do it because you love doing it, never see anything as a conclusion, try to do things as if I would be doing it forever


(54:14) How have you met some of your fellow designers, such as Joshua Davis & nickalexander?
intimidating at first conference, met Josh Davis in April, talked about what working on and inspirations


(01:11:43) Alot of people say mistakes play a big part in gaining experience, is there any you have learnt from? (if any)
you have to screw up alot to know how things work

"never ever stop, the more hours you put in the more powerful you will become"

never ever stop, never get discouraged by a mistake, "watch what other people do", still learning stuff everyday, never have a one rigid process you go through


Other interesting stuff talked about:
How did you first start to get into design?
Do you give out your source files to your client?
What's the hardest part for you in designing a poster?
Getting contacted to create a Google Chrome theme?
Where did your unique style orginate from?
Is the sketch book more important than a computer?

No comments:

Post a Comment